Tuesday 5 August 2014

Goodbye

       Grief can do many things. When someone we care about passes, it's the last thing we think about at night and the first thing on your mind in the morning. Their voice repeats over in your head, you remember all the good times, you laugh, you cry and you wish for one last moment. One last time together to make sure they know how much you mean to them. One moment to hug them, care for them, and let them know they are truly loved. My memories of my Aunt Ruth were only good ones. She was the one who taught me what it is to be a great hostess. She always had every detail taken care of and at Christmas, she always had the best oranges. (And let me have as many as I wanted, no matter what my mom would say.) She was the one who helped me discover a true love for Holiday baking. I remember the piles of goodies when we would visit for Christmas. I remember making chocolates and being so excited to make something so delicious with my own two little hands, no matter how ridiculous they looked. I remember going to the lake and staying up late by the fire, eating bacon and listening to country music.  When she came to visit, I remember waiting on the front deck, filled with such anticipation, to hear her come rumbling down the dirt road.  These are some of my happiest childhood memories.

       Ruth was an amazing person. She never complained, was always helpful and generous. She never put her needs before anyone. She always took the time to make sure you had what you needed and genuinely cared. Her voice and laugh were one of a kind, and will always be heard. She was the ultimate caregiver and was always willing to help with whatever job needed to be done.

       When someone dies, it is so hard to take because it is so final. How do you say goodbye to someone to left us too early? They say that when you die your energy lives on. I believe that. I believe that the best for her is yet to come, because she deserves to live on as a Queen. She will live on in the spring flowers, unexpected rainbows and morning sunlight. Her energy is all around us and will live on forever. And even though her body is no longer with us, her laugh and caring spirit will always be.



No comments:

Post a Comment