Tuesday 14 June 2016

I will stand beside you.

When I was growing up I was always told that being gay was disgusting. It was wrong on every level. Men should not kiss other men. Women should not kiss other women. Men should never wear dresses or makeup. It was gross and should not be seen. Public displays of affection were ok, unless you were with the same sex. Then it was publically mocked. I always felt like she was wrong. My instincts told me that it was wrong to hate or mock someone. (This is one of many reasons I no longer have any sort of relationship with my mother.) When I was "experimenting" in college I always felt like I was doing something so wrong....that felt so great. It was then that I realized it didn't matter. Gay, straight, bisexual, whatever. Can we not just be and do what feels good?
 
I recently spent a week with my sister and her husband to get away from the daily grind. Since it was pride week we attended the city's pride parade. Say what you want about gay people, but what I saw was the most beautiful group of uninhibited people I had ever seen. The same can be said about my gay friends. They are the most genuinely authentic people I know. What I saw at that parade was true. There was no shame. People walked side by side and were beaming with love and light. I felt like I belonged and was accepted. 
 
When I got home yesterday I foolishly watched the news. I felt almost violated. How in this world today can there be such hate, for what? I want my kids to grow up in a world where they can be who they are, no matter what. I never want my kids to hear what I heard as a child. I never want them to feel alone because of who they are. So what can I do about it? The answer isn't simple and can't be found easily. But I do know that one simple act can be the start of something great. Today, I do the only thing I can do. I am writing this to tell the gay men and women in my life that I accept them. I love them for who they are. And whatever label you have on yourself, know that its not needed. You can be whoever you want to be and I will support you. I will stand beside you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment