Saturday 21 May 2016

Fit or fat. The new battlefield.

When people say things about someone or describe someone in terms of their weight, I stop them. Especially if it's my son.  "Weight is a non-issue.", is my response. I would love to believe that it's true. This is the only time I will ever lie to him. But how else can I start to change the world?! There are three issues with weight that explain why our love/hate relationship with fat is so prevalent in the world today.
 
Problem #1, the media. Every day we are bombarded with images of what we should look like. Every magazine is filled with images of thin models and ways that you too can become one. At the end of some magazines there are even listings of the best plastic surgeons. Magazines even tell you how to be sexy, how to look smart, how to do your hair, how to smell.... How are we supposed to figure out who we are if we are told to look like everyone else?  How does this affect us as human beings if we can't look like that, I wonder? It's not only magazines, its the internet, t.v. shows, it's in our culture, our community, stores we shop in, movies, even the damn woman on my new cookbook looks beautiful. There are women who spend their entire lives being fake and spending hours and thousands of dollars on simply looking beautiful. They make whole t.v. shows about it! We are showing little girls that all you need is looks. And if you don't have them, it's ok to spend money altering yourself to gain them. (If you ever let your child watch "Keeping up with the Kardashians" Unfriend me now please.)
 
Problem #2, the fashion industry. I have been a size 8, a size 16 and everything else in between. Recently I put on weight. I could have cried in the change room when the size 14 didn't fit. I could have started wearing a moomoo. I could have screamed at the lady for the unjust standards in todays clothing industry. But I didn't do any of those things. This time, I simply bought the bigger size, pulled up my big girl panties and moved on. After all, its not your body that makes you look overweight, it's wearing clothes that are two sizes too small. So, with my new outlook I decided to start looking in the plus sized clothing. Which really should be labeled "Normal Person Clothes". I started checking out these websites in secret. After all, I didn't want anyone to know that I was now a "PLUS SIZE" Let me just say, that for one thing, I am really glad they are now using heavy set models for their content. I am however super disappointed in the lack of style and shape in the clothing. It was like they didn't even bother to use darts or fancy seams, or even nice material. This is so very true for most plus size clothing. If you want cool torn jeans with a little embellishment you have to be size 12 or under. Apparently you have to stop being cool when you get fat. 
 
Should I even talk about bathing suits? I am a firm believer in loving what was given to you! Some are thin, some are tall, some have curves and some have non. Having a little extra to love doesn't mean you get to miss out on the summer. If you want to have a bikini body, put your ass in a bikini! End of story. So the other day I set out for a new bikini. This ties back to that whole thing about "its not your body that makes you look fat, its wearing clothes that are too small" I am all for wearing a bikini, just make sure it fits you right. My current one does not. I went to three stores on the coast. One had only small sizes. They were so cool and cute and colourful, but not in any real woman's sizes. The second one had one bikini in a size XL and it was black and the most boring bikini I had ever seen. The third store told me "You don't really fill that top out." She was right, I have a surprisingly small bust for the amount of curve to my ass.
 
Problem #3, the lies. We are told time and time again that "You too can be thin like me!" The health and fitness industry is a $78 billion a year global industry. That is a lot of money spent on being fit, yet we still have one of the highest obesity rates ever recorded on a global scale. The biggest lie they tell is that you will drink all the drinks, do the workouts and get thin. And by getting thin you will also now magically love yourself too! This is not true. What they are not telling people is that if you want to be thin or fit, its a commitment for life. They also neglect to tell you that if you don't love your body now, you probably wont love it later. Self love and acceptance come from within. I am not a believer in fad diets and empty promises!
 
So what is a girl to do? I saw a book today that had written on it: Honour your body by staying fit. Can we not agree that the way we honour our body is as unique as each one of us? We are not all built the same, how can we say we all function the same? For me, all I can do is be real and authentic. I honour my soul and body by doing many things, all which are right for me. Sometimes it's by eating real food, sometimes it's alone time on the beach, sometimes it's a good workout. We need to start teaching our kids that real bodies, all bodies are to be treasured and loved. Take care of yourself by taking care of your soul and your body will follow suit.  
 
 
                                                                                              
Beautiful just the way you are.....
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
   
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment