Tuesday 25 June 2013

Confessions of a do it all junkie

Yes, I am one of those. I do it all. I bake, I'm crafty, I can sew, I make all my Christmas gifts and Halloween costumes, I will stack firewood and I am a rock star in the sack. But there are a lot of things I don't or can't do. And in a lot of ways, my life the most disorganized chaos I have ever seen.

For example, let me be the first to tell you, I don't clean my house. I have been living here for three years and I have only cleaned the windows once. I clean my kitchen (out of necessity) but things like dusting and washing walls will never get done. Laundry doesn't get put away either. It constantly sits in limbo between clean and dirty, hanging out in the laundry baskets. I often have to do the smell test before I wear something...is this the clean basket or dirty one...??? When people come over, they are picking food off my kitchen table because I didn't clean it from the night before... or the night before that.

As far as my sewing skills, my mom taught me to sew before anything else. I was sewing my own Barbie clothes because we couldn't afford to buy them. As I got older I sewed my own clothes or got thrift store treasures and HAD to make them cool. I have been sewing for 25 years and have gotten really fast at it over the years.

I once stayed up until midnight working on a Halloween costume the night before.

My first ten (at least) cakes were a complete disaster! I made one that actually fell over in the fridge before I got to deliver it. Thank god it was for a friend, and I had time to buy one before the party.  I even made one that sunk into itself. The top tier literally fell into the bottom one.  I practiced my cake decorating skills on my family first. They have suffered through a number of disaster cakes! I even forgot to put sugar in one. oops.

I cannot turn off my brain! I am constantly thinking about everything. It's a curse!!

I bribe my kids with tv and marshmallows so I can get stuff done.

I start my Christmas gift making in June! It takes me that long.

I once stayed up until 2am decorating a cake. By the time I was done, I was so wired that I couldn't sleep. The next day was a loonnnggg day.

I am terrified of public speaking, being in large groups, and talking to people I don't know. I literally sweat my body weight, and am near vomiting the entire time I am in any of these situations.

I have no self control! I once ate an entire advent calendar after bringing it home. It was a kinder surprise one too... lots of chocolate. And it wasn't even mine!

I tend to be bossy and take over certain situations. (If you ask any of my close friends, this is a ridiculous understatement) I have slight control issues.

All in all, I have to take the good with the bad. I love my crazy life but sometimes I wish I could just sit and enjoy it without thinking of a million things or making a million plans. There is a balance.....I think. I will find it one day.














No comments:

Post a Comment