Wednesday 12 June 2013

Time

This past week I spent some time with my boys at their Aunt and Uncle's house in Edmonton. It was, as usual, a great trip. But there was something about this trip in particular, that made it extra difficult to leave.

My sister is my best friend, my inspiration, she keeps me in check, motivates me and is by far person I laugh with the most. Her and her husband are my true family, and my kids absolutely adore them. I try to spend one week each year there and every trip seems to be the same. We go shopping at the big mall, take the kids to a movie or the science center, play cards, build a fort, do crafts, hang out in the hot tub, and eat! It's nothing overly exciting, it's not fancy, but it is what I look forward to the most every year. I have the most laughs, the most food coma's, and make the most memories.

Every time I go there, I seem to leave with a little piece of knowledge. This time was no different. My sister said to me, "the most important thing, what we are meant to give each other, is time." That word, "time" resonated in my mind. We are realizing more and more that life is not about how much money you make, what toys you have, your "success", or fame. It's what you do with your time that matters. You can never have enough money and you will always want more. We all seem to be living the same life, with more and more things, and less and less time.

Another reason this trip was so great, was because I got to spend some time with my Aunt and cousins. My Aunt Judy made a huge spread for dinner (more food coma!!)  and we got to spend time with my cousin, his wife, and their daughter. It was an amazing moment for me, to watch our kids play together. I am grateful to my Aunt for making this happen. And all the money in the world could not have bought that.

I know that when I look back on this life of mine, ten or twenty years from now, the moments that stick out in my mind will be the ones I shared with the people I love. That is why it was so hard to leave. I wish I could have these moments with them every day. Jenny and Francis are my two of my favorite people in the whole world and I didn't want the trip to end. And now that I sit here in my house, home at last, I vow to create more moments and more time with my family. Make every day a holiday and count down the days I get to see them again.  Thank you for teaching me the most important things in life.

PS: thank you to Courtney Munson for taking these awesome photos!!
http://cocosphotography.ca/






No comments:

Post a Comment